Wednesday 6 September 2017

Winning Woman- Khadija Farah

     Asalaam aleikum, Meet Khadija, a photographer, writer and conservationist. The intros are abit of a repeat of the first question's answers lol but it has to start like that. I do not know many people on instagram that are unapologetically themselves, and this girl is one of the few who are. Her work is absolutely breath taking, like ever seen a picture that makes you feel something? Yap, that's her work. She says her best trait is that she manages to find humor in everything, no wonder she is so funny. 
As always, be inspired, i am. 



    1. Tell us a little about yourself, who is Khadija? 
     I’m a photographer, writer, and conservationist based in Nairobi. For a while, I was a social worker based in Dadaab refugee camp. I always knew that storytelling was the career path I want to pursue but working in Dadaab was the push I needed.
Other than that, I’m a Liverpool FC supporter, cake enthusiast, and cat lover.
    2.     What is it that you do as a career?
Currently I’m the communications manager for Action Against Hunger Somalia. Until recently I was exclusively a freelance photographer.
    3.       What’s the hardest and the best part about your job?
Being a Somali woman in this field is difficult. I often get discriminated against or put down especially by my own people. Photography is seen as a not “proper,” a hobby, not an actual career.
The best part is knowing that I’m fulfilling a childhood dream every time I pick up my camera.
    4.       You have a photography blog, tell us more about that?

I use that as a more professional portfolio. I often redirect people who inquire about past work to it. . But I mostly post about the people and places I come across, on my instagram. You’ll rarely see a picture of me—the last selfie I posted was probably sometime in 2015. It is a platform I use to talk about my work and causes that are important to me such as conservation, indigenous rights, and refugee issues. Website- https://www.kmfarah.com/

   5.       In moments of self-doubt or adversity, how do you build yourself back up?
Honestly, I’m not very good at this. I tend to be very hard on myself. My best friend, Kaltuma, is my rock. She usually lifts me up when I’m down. If not for her, I’d probably get stuck in the black hole of doubt and self-hate. A tub of Cold Stone ice cream usually helps.
   6.       What does success mean to you?
       Making my parents proud and going to bed with a clean, happy heart.

   7.       What quote or saying or book do you live by or rather inspires you?
"Work is love made visible.
And if you cannot work with love but only with distaste, it is better that you should leave your work and sit at the gate of the temple and take alms of those who work with joy.
For if you bake bread with indifference, you bake a bitter bread that feeds but half a man's hunger.
And if you grudge the crushing of the grapes, your grudge distills a poison in the wine.
And if you sing though as angels, and love not the singing, you muffle man's ears to the voices of the day and the voices of the night."

   8.       Which of your traits are you most proud of, why?
I find humor in a lot of things. It keeps me sane.

   9.       What characteristic do you most admire in other women, career women or otherwise?
When I meet a woman with ability to juggle both professional and personal obligations with seeming ease always makes me want to give a spontaneous standing ovation. For so long I was told I couldn’t have it all and until recently, I believed it was true. Also, I applaud anyone who doesn’t procrastinate—I need to work on that.

   10.   What’s the best piece of advice you have ever received in your life and what advice would you give to girls who look up to you?
“Stop asking for permission. Just do it.”



I’d probably give the same advice. It has served me well recently. 



No comments :

Post a Comment